For the most comprehensive instructions on removing your existing deadbolt, we recommend you refer to the manufacturer's instructions. Having trouble locating your manufacturer's instructions? Most common deadbolts can be uninstalled by following these steps:
- Start by unlocking and opening your door so you can see all three sides of your existing door lock: interior, exterior, and the deadbolt edge.
- Use a screwdriver to remove the two interior screws on your existing deadbolt. If there are no visible screws on the interior side of your deadbolt, you may need to remove the thumb turn (or turnkey) and interior plate to access the screws.
- After removing the interior screws, you will be able to separate the interior plate and thumb turn from the exterior plate and keyway. In other words, you'll be able to separate the interior and exterior components of your existing deadbolt.
- Note: Generally, you can simply pull the two pieces apart, but in some cases, you might need to twist each piece counter-clockwise before pulling them out or remove additional screws on the exterior faceplate.
- Now, you're ready to remove the set plate located on the edge of your door. There should be two screws on the door edge: one above and one below the deadbolt. Use your screwdriver to remove these two screws.
- You should now be able remove the set plate and slide the deadbolt out of the bore hole in your door. In most cases, the set plate and deadbolt are one piece that can be removed together. However, you may need to remove the set plate first, and then slide out the deadbolt.
- You're ready to install your Gate Smart Lock! Looking for installation instructions? You can find them here.